Saturday, July 17, 2010

How to fix your dead Samsung netbook

If you own a Samsung netbook with a wonky DC power connection, or one that just plain won't charge or power on, here's how you might be able to fix it for about $20, like I did for my friend's Samsung NC20. Warning: opening up your netbook might void your warranty. However, it might also save you time, money, and a lot of hassle. For example, I sent my friend's NC20 in for warranty service, and Samsung failed to fix the problem. When the problem recurred only a week after they returned it (supposedly fixed), they refused to repair it--the netbook's warranty had just expired. Meh.


  1. Test your AC power adapter.

  2. Do this first, because you'll kick yourself if you take apart your netbook for no reason. This helps confirm whether the problem is with your netbook or the power supply. Plug it in and use a multimeter (if you have one) to confirm that that the DC output (the cylindrical jack which connects to the notebook) of your AC adapter is putting out its rated voltage (about 19V for the Samsung NC20). If it doesn't, then consider ordering a replacement from http://www.samsungparts.com before proceeding further.

  3. Take off the bottom cover.

  4. Flip the netbook upside down, and remove all of the screws (except for the screws to the memory access panel). Keep track of which screw went where. Use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the bottom cover. Avoid applying too much force, so as to prevent scratching or denting the plastic chassis.

  5. Test the DC jack and harness.

  6. Here's what the area around the DC jack and harness looks like, on the Samsung NC20:


    Here's DC jack and wiring harness look like, when removed from the netbook:


    Here's a closeup of the connector which attaches to the netbook's motherboard:


    The simplest way to test the DC jack and harness is to plug it in, then use a multimeter to test the voltage at the connector which attaches to the motherboard (shown above). The connector terminals (copper colored, in the picture above) are relatively easy to use for testing, despite being small. For the Samsung NC20, you should see about 19V between the black wires and the red wires. Test both black wires against both reds. If you get a positive voltage for each pairing, and the voltage remains steady when you wiggle the DC connector or wire harness, then your DC jack and harness are probably fine. In this case, the problem likely with something else in your system, and is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

    If you don't see voltage across one or more of the black/red wire pairings, or the voltage is intermittent when the DC connector is wiggled, then there's a problem with your DC jack or harness. To order a replacement, go to http://www.samsungparts.com, look up your netbook, and click the "Entire Parts" button to show all parts for the system. Look for a part named "BRIGHTON,WIRE HARNESS CBF HARNESS-DC_JACK", or something similar. For my friend's Samsung NC20 (model number NPNC20KA02US), the correct part number is BA39-00789A, and it costs $11.75. Shipping, handling, and tax brought it to almost twice that, and it was delivered within a day or two.

  7. Alternative: fix the harness yourself.

  8. Rather than (or in addition to) ordering a replacement DC jack and wire harness, you could opt to repair the existing harness. It helps if you have some stranded 26 AWG (or similar gauge) wire available, but you might be able to simply resolder the existing wires onto the DC jack, if you're careful. Find the broken connection (probably at one of the soldered joints on the DC jack) and repair it. Here was how mine looked after my repair, but before I wrapped it in heat-shrink tubing:



If you found this tutorial helpful, please post a comment saying so! I'd love to hear if anyone found it useful. I suspect that many other Samsung netbook owners may encounter this issue, due to the design and positioning of the DC jack.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Pseudothink,

I can't really believe I'm the first to have benefited from your useful posting. But thank you. I love my Samsung NP-N130, and was most upset to discover it wasn't charging. It now is after some soldering, and I've ordered a replacement part from eBay. (Note for any UK users; no major parts supplier seemed to have this item, so suggest getting it off eBay).

Thanks again.

Pseudothink said...

I'm glad I could help, thank you for letting me know you found this post useful! I hope your repair continues working for a while. It seemed like mine didn't, though it's possible that some other power/charging problem developed. The very same NC20 is sitting in my room, unused for the past two years or so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pseudothink,
Great information, written in a logical sequence. I feel confident that I can tackle the issue and do the repair myself.

I broke the jack from the power supply, but I suspect that I have power issues within the computer.

I wil fix the jack first and if I still have problems I now have the resource to finish up the job.

mickpick